In an ideal world, we might perfectly compartmentalize our caregiving duties, adhering to a routine that met the requirements of a senior loved one, while enabling enough time needed to manage our assortment of other responsibilities. But naturally, life doesn’t adhere to our desired script, and contradicting needs are common when caring for elderly parents. Many senior loved ones balk at the need for help, while others may come to rely too greatly on an adult child, leading to unfulfilled expectations and ultimately irritation for both parties.
Seniorcorp’s senior care professionals provide the following tips to help clarify expectations and communicate effectively:
- Emphasize empathy. Instead of drawing away from an older loved one whose demands seem unreasonable, pause and empathize. Think through the difficulties your loved one is facing, and exactly how it could feel to be in his / her shoes. Then voice your sincere concern and desire to help.
- Enable each other to be heard. Start a conversation with your parent, encouraging him or her to talk about how it feels to be in need of care, and what sort of care is necessary. Identify what the older adult’s objectives are, and then share your own expectations and limitations in having the capability to completely meet his or her needs.
- Compromise to come to a solution. Finding a resolution that works well for both of you might be much less difficult than you think. For instance, in the event the senior loved one expects help with transportation based on a certain schedule several times per week, perhaps you can offer that assistance one day, while recruiting assistance from others to cover additional days. This allows for enhanced socialization for the senior as well as the healthy life balance you need.
Seniorcorp, providers of home care in Virginia Beach and the surrounding areas, is here to partner with family caregivers with highly skilled, thoroughly matched care experts who are passionate about making life the best it can be for older adults. Working together with Seniorcorp allows adult children to make sure their aging parents are well taken care of at all times, whether by filling in with respite care where needed, through around-the-clock live-in care, or any number of solutions in between. Just some of the countless ways we are able to help include:
- Safe, accompanied transportation
- Running errands
- Planning and preparing nutritious meals
- Keeping the home clean and neat
- Offering friendly companionship to brighten each day
- Innovative and highly specialized care for those diagnosed with dementia
- And so much more
Email or call us at 757-640-0557 to share the challenges you’re facing, and to let us share more about our top-rated home care in Virginia Beach and the surrounding communities.