Looking at the past several months, family caregivers have had to handle seemingly unsurmountable challenges in connection with the care of the senior family members they love. With COVID-19’s particular dangers to seniors and people who have underlying health conditions such as COPD, diabetes, and heart problems, as well as others which are typically common in seniors, families have struggled with just how to best protect and keep their older loved ones safe.
To that end, some families made the tough choice to temporarily stop home care services in order to prevent having anyone outside of the family come into the home – meaning the family members were unexpectedly responsible for full-time elder care. Without a care partner, this alone can be incredibly stressful, but add to that the various other new responsibilities and concerns as a result of the pandemic, such as shifting to working virtually, taking care of kids who could no longer attend school or daycare, and much more.
To say it’s been an overwhelming time is an understatement, but now, with numerous new safety protocols set up, will it be safe to once again bring in a professional caregiving provider in order to assist?
Seniorcorp, the leaders in home care, has continued to deliver safe, trustworthy caregiving services for older adults throughout the pandemic, in accordance with all recommended guidelines. When you’re prepared to explore care options, keep the following tips in mind:
- Work with an experienced in-home care agency, like Seniorcorp, that has a well thought out COVID-19 plan in place – and ask for details about that plan.
- Plan to be there once the caregiver arrives the first time to ease any worries you could have, such as ensuring that he/she is washing hands often, sanitizing surfaces, wearing a face covering, etc.
- Speak to the older adult’s doctor about any concerning health problems and to get recommendations for any extra safety precautions that ought to be taken during in-home care visits.
The care professionals at Seniorcorp are always available to answer any questions you may have and to share information regarding the steps we are taking to protect the older adults in our care, including:
- Wearing face coverings along with other personal protective equipment as appropriate
- Properly sanitizing and disinfecting any items brought into the seniors’ homes
- Ensuring all care staff are healthy through wellness assessments and routine temperature checks
- Practicing safe social distancing protocol
- And more
For home care in Chesapeake or a nearby community, call us at 757.640.0557. Learn more about the countless benefits of professional full-time elder care at home, and how we can help an older adult you love live life to the fullest – comfortably and safely in the familiarity of home.